No doubt, cloud technology is a boon for present-day businesses. Organizations have well-understood and embraced the advantages of cloud-based infrastructure services. But, in the absence of proper knowledge, this boon can turn into a bane.
IT organizations are facing troubles due to fast and unchecked cloud adoption. A recent survey has revealed about 61% of businesses are victims of business efficiencies due to something called ‘cloud sprawl.’
In case you are unfamiliar with the term, then here is the simple definition: Cloud sprawl is a condition where excess workloads are running in an organization without the company knowing about it.
If IT departments or officers failed to keep track of cloud operations, there is a possibility for cloud sprawl to occur. Unsanctioned applications used by employees are also a thing that can put an organization in a difficult spot.
So, how can one deal with the cloud and keep it under control at the same time? Continue reading to find out.
Technical Strategies to Manage the Risk of Cloud Sprawl
There is a need for a technical strategy to be put in place by organizations to keep cloud sprawl security issues under control.
- Integration of security tools is essential. In other words, security tools must function as a single, integrated system, and connected to the entire network. The scope of the term ‘entire network’ also takes cloud elements that the organization doesn’t know about, into consideration.
- For the fastest and most effective results, it is better to opt for native cloud controls for the management of cloud resources and keeping them secure at the same time.
- Security solutions can be quickly and easily deployed with the help of cloud connectors that have been designed explicitly by keeping the cloud environment in mind.
- Every workflow, device, transaction, or application must interact with cloud applications and infrastructures to be analyzed, processed, secured, and monitored.
- For any cloud-based service, even Shadow IT is provided with proper visibility, compliance, threat protection, and data security by Cloud Access Security Brokers (CASB).
Nevertheless, it should also be a prerequisite for security leaders to start with corporate executives’ education, line of business leaders, and users. The security team should bring better insight into the concept of risks associated with cloud sprawl.
Centralized Cloud Management – A Critical Necessity
A central cloud security management system is critically needed these days. Such a system plays a sustainable role in streamlining security operations across multiple clouds. For the deployment and orchestration of security policies across a multi-cloud environment, the system must include a common framework.
Any organization can be a victim of significant risks associated with cloud sprawl if proper proactive measures are not implemented within time. The use of a centralized cloud security management system helps avoid issues like Shadow IT and misconfigurations.
If you are still struggling to manage the cloud-based activities of your organization, then you can always approach CloudStakes Technology to minimize your workload. Being an eminent cloud service provider in India, we aim to help businesses simplify their cloud operations.
Hold on to us and never worry about cloud sprawls and other such issues again.